Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fighting the Stigma of HPV

Unfortunately HPV, like other sexually transmitted infections, carries with it a stigma. I believe that this stigma is misplaced from the start. HPV is actually transmitted by skin-to-skin contact and it just so happens that genital contact is indeed a form of skin-to-skin contact. However, unlike other STI's, HPV does not require intercourse for transmission. Ongoing research continues to show transmission via other methods with some even suggesting kissing as a potential means of transmission as well as foamites (inanimate objects). So should HPV really be classified as an STI?

Stigmas are not new and continue to inflict emotional pain upon those carrying the label. In the case of HPV, such stigmas can have devastating effects when they function to silence the person infected. The embarrassment may prevent them from speaking to anyone, including those who may be able to shed more light on the virus. In the worst case, it can prevent the individual from seeing their doctor, or by the time they do, it's too late.

The ones that come to mind most often are slut, tramp, hoe, hussy and a host of others all involving the woman's sexual history and number of sexual partners. Just like getting pregnant only takes one act of intercourse so too is true of acquiring the HPV virus.

Personally, I find it very insulting when I hear people on TV joking about STI's. It makes me angry because this person is so oblivious to the harm they are perpetrating. This doesn't have to be only on TV but those people just have such a vast audience to whom they can spread their ignorance. To them it's funny.

Then again there are those who know exactly what they are doing, their actions are intentional, a case of spreading the sentiment that whomever has the humanpapilloma virus got what they deserved. Obviously the underlying message is that those with HPV have done something wrong.

Until people are educated regarding the facts about HPV nothing will change. Education needs to emphasize that HPV is contracted via skin-to-skin contact and that most importantly, the cancers caused by the most common strains of HPV, are preventable. Perhaps if people understood that HPV is also responsible for cancers of the lung, head/neck, throat and other non-sexual organs, they would be open to a more meaningful discussion.

Take advantage of any opportunity to correct those with a misperception about HPV. Learn as much as you can yourself about HPV so you can correct those misperceptions. It is alarming the number of women who still have never heard of HPV. If you are reading this then you are ahead of many others.

5 comments:

  1. Does it matter if one gets HPV from skin to skin or from sex? Yes I like sex, I have sex, and I am also a woman. I also have HPV. A virus that rarely shows symptoms in males and cannot be tested for unless you have the visible symptoms. Many already carry this virus completely unaware that they are spreading it, men and woman both. I agree that HPV shouldn't carry such a stigma, but also neither should a woman be ashamed for being sexually active and fulfilling her sexual needs responsibly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am here to appreciate Dr Onokun for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 3 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Onokun curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Onokun on his email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2349064844957

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HIV VIRUS
    hello everyone , I was diagnosed of HIV disease in
    2012 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all
    to no avail,my life was gradually coming to an end,
    until i saw a post on a health forum on internet
    about a herbal doctor call Dr. Lucky who prepares
    herbal medicine to cure HIV disease and different
    kind of diseases including, herpes,Cancer,Stroke,
    Tuberculosis ,hepatitis,Diabetes, and many deadly
    diseases,at first i doubted if it was real but i decide
    to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor
    email,he prepared a HIV herbal portion and sent it
    to me through UPS delivery service in my
    country,when i received this herbal medicine, he
    gave me step by step instructions on how to apply
    it, when i applied it as instructed,i was cured of this
    deadly disease within 7 days,I could not walk or
    talk understandably before but after i took the
    herbal medicine as Dr. Lucky instructed me i
    regained strength in my bones and i can talk
    properly like before,I am now free from the deadly
    disease my HIV positive result turns negative , all
    thanks to Dr. Lucky of his good-work.if you are at
    there also passing through any kind of disease
    Contact Dr. Lucky through this email;
    drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com or you can add
    him up on what-app +2348154637647

    1 cancer cure
    2 diabetes cure
    3 ringing ear
    4 herpes cure
    5 warts cure
    6 HPV cure
    7 Hiv
    8 get your ex back.
    call dr lucky for help +2348154637647 or email drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just end my natural treatment from a herbal medicinal, which heleped eradicate my HPV warts (Human PapilomaVirus). I used the herbs for couple weeks. Nothing makes me happy than eradicating this virus out from my body. i also recommend everyone suffering from this horrible disease or other kind of virus/disease should contact Dr Olori, i know he will be able to cure you.
    You can reach Dr Olori via email; droloriherbalcenter@yahoo.com....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What else can I say about him, today am very grateful to him as I am finally cured of herpes disease that I have been eating me up for over a year and 6 months.After searching for different means to get my self cure but nothing seems to work out,Behold today i can boldly stand and testify to the world at large that with the help of an herbal medicine,I have found myself back to my feet and healthy again in just after few days that i got in contact with a GOD sent man,through help on a blog which talk about herpes cure,how she was cured through the herbal medicine too which was sent to her from doctor Dr DADA.So i decided to give this great man a try by contacting him via his email and mobile no,explained to him what my problems his and he told me all would be fine and well by the time he his done with is own work that i just have to believe in him which i did ,low and behold,today i am very happy as it was just all like a magic that is why i have come here to testify to the world at large and also to share my experience because I know there are many people out there who are also in searching for cure to one disease or the other,you can as well get Dr DADA the great now for herbal medicine help through his contact address on drdadaspellhome@hotmail.com also on wha'sapp no +2348158568638 as i fully believe he is able and capable also getting rid of disease like
    HIV/AIDS
    HPV
    CANCER
    ALS

    ReplyDelete