Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Support Websites - When Rankings Outweigh Privacy

My website has been in existence for several years now. I have numerous other groups all concerned about HPV and dissemination of information regarding awareness, education and vaccination whose links I have placed on my site and visa versa. We all look to help each other in what is one of our main goals - to educate as many people as we can and provide them with as many reputable sites that may help to facilitate this.

Unfortunately this hasn't been the same with one particular site. I have praised the site for the support connections it has allowed women (and men) to make and the great strides and award winning status it has achieved and I have more integrity than to call them out by name.

However, I have never been happy with the fact that people's posts are, by default sent to "share with the public", an action which places that post and all subsequent responses on the Intenet which can NEVER be removed. One may think that it is no big deal, people have screen names. Simply put many peoples circumstances especially when you are indicated where you're from etc in your profile may divulge just who you are to someone reading your story, screen name or not. Many people are just as concerned about replying to such posts which only lessens the support that individual gets all because they didn't see the box which asked them to make a choice before they hit POST.

I've been told when I informed people of this that it wasn't my place to do so and that if people had chosen their post as public it was probably because that is the way they wanted it. Nonsense! I've spoken to far too many of these people who said they never realized that is what they were doing and thanked me profusely for letting the know.

What this does and what they have acknowledged in their reply (unless they've deleted them) is that having posts go to the Internet makes their site more accessible. This is true because it boosts their site ratings every time a post gets picked up by the search engine spiders (as they're called) as linked back to the site.

My response to that is that there are certainly other means by which to utilize SEO (search engine optimization) to increase market share while still maintaining people's privacy. So, despite my significant following on their site, my account has now been banned with the following explanation:


Hello,

We have removed your account as we have received notice today that you
are again contacting people via messages to promote your site. We have
repeatedly asked you not to do this as it violates our guidelines.


My profile page has contained my website email address and website and blog info almost from day one so why should this be an issue. This particular reference was the fact that I utilized a "passthrough" link (through my site to another) to get people to the most current HPV related guidelines. What bothers me most is the utter hypocrisy. Dozens if not more members of this same site list their blog links, Facebook links to sites they have created yet they continue unhindered as a member.

Why would someone with such a successful site need to create guidelines that prevent others from listing links (which dozens of people do all the time) yet my own are off limits? I noticed several people leaving blog links so several months ago I did the same and was chastised and had that post deleted while others have continued to post their blog links totally ignored. I've been told they simply "weren't aware" of these other breaches in their guidelines". If you believe that one, I've got a bridge to sell you too.

One must ponder the question, why if getting this information out is the ultimate priority why they would attempt to maintain their members like cloistered nuns unable to make references to the "outside world". My site is certified by HONCode for accurate medical information and certainly SHOULD BE no threat to this wonderful site but that's the way it certainly seems. Self promotion for someones EBay business for example would certainly be inappropriate, but referral to a site with the same intentions?

Just keep in mind when joining any forum or looking at any site to check if they are approved by HONcode (something I don't think this site actually is but I could be wrong). I simply never recall seeing their logo on the site. Is your information valued as well as your privacy or are the most intimate details of your personal life spread about the Internet for the purposes of making a site more accessible. More accessible also means higher rankings and the ability to charge higher rates for advertising and the like. Is this the way you want YOUR private information utilized?

If not, then send a message loud and clear that your personal information is private and should remain that way by default. That obtaining as much accurate information as possible is important to you even if it means visiting other sites to do it and being able to pass along valued links to other members is important to you. In addition you can choose to leave. Don't worry you won't be abandoned as there is a place where you can exchange this same information without fear of it being sent to the Internet and where your privacy comes first!

The HPV Support Network Forums will be active on Friday October 7th and anyone wishing to share their information without fear of disclosure or limitations on what information you are being allowed to have is not an issue here. We value your privacy above our rankings and can find other ways to make our various sites (Website, blog, Facebook and Twitter accounts) accessible without stooping to these tactics.

It is my personal opinion that there is perhaps nothing worse than being used and manipulated at a time when one is so vulnerable.

17 comments:

  1. It sounds like you don't really know what you're talking about. But maybe that's just me...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all patient of [HPV] in the world. i never believed that their could be any complete cure for HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS or any cure for HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS, Mrs JANE introduce me to DR.AKHIGBE a herbal doctor who lives in Africa who brought him back to life again. so i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using the herbal medicine he sent to me i was perfectly ok and . Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any symptoms of HPV and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any HPV in my body system. Glory be to God for leading me to this genuine DR.AKHIGBE I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for HPV that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure from DR.AKHIGBE via his Email DRAKHIGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM and you will be free and free forever, Try it and you will not regret it because it truly works. One thing i have come to realize is that you never know how true it is until you try...or you can whatsapp him +2348106618681, OR Email him DRAKHIGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM OR if you need my assistant via mail:jamesava001@gmail.com...
      THIS IS THE TYPE OF HERBAL MEDICATION HE HAVE
      1 Cancer
      2 Hiv
      3 Low sperm count
      4 Barrenness
      5 Hvp
      6 Herpes
      7 Genital Wart
      8 Rare disease
      9 Hepatitis
      10 Syphilis
      11 Diabetes
      God bless you sir for your good work that you done.....

      Delete
    2. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. One is your site going to be up and running?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forum is live today October 7, 2011. Please register.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truely a shame. I know which forum you are refering too and I've received advice from you and many other knowledgeable women in dealing with my HPV treatment there. I've posted a link to your website there as well as several others. You have a great following that is up in arms about what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to the first reply here I'm interestsed to know just what anonymous thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. Is it the fact that others continue to post their blog and other links without impunity even through TODAY? The SEO? Oh,perhaps it's that I don't know what I'm talking about how wonderful that site is or how they've helped so many people along the way. It certainly isn't about my opinions because by definition these are my personal beliefs. I can't help but wonder why anonymous thinks he/she would know more about the situation happening to me than I would. So why don't you share all the details for the rest of us to see anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling that anonymous has not put the time or energy into finding out what a valuable resource you are to the hpv community. I am very glad to be able to follow you here and have closed my account at the other site.
    Thank you for taking personal privacy seriously. geogirl1957 now quamci:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have you as a part of our new forum and glad to see that others do respect people's privacy especially during what can be the most stressful time in a person's life even if this other sites doesn't. It's a shame when people's ego and need for ratings trumps the true concern for people. There are other ways to increase site ratings and while defaulting people's posts to the Internet is indeed one of the fastest, in my opinion, it's just not the most ethical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All thanks to Dr Okwyzil for curing my HPV positive to Negative, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Okwyzil to reach me when i thought it is all over, today am happy with my two kids and my husband after the medical doctor have confirmed my HPV status Negative,i have never in my life believed that HPV could be cure by any herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the wonderful herbs and power of Dr Okwyzil all is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means with his email: {dr.okwyilspelltemple@gmail.com} or
    dr.okwyilspelltemple@hotmail.com or https://web.facebook.com/DrOkwzyil-Herbal-home-1633672573550153/?ref=hl or you can still contact him with this number +2349051431151

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELLO TO YOU ALL,I HAVE BEEN LIVEN WITH(HPV+2)SINCE 2012.I DID NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS CAN HEAPED TO ME LIFE AND I AN NOW 36YEARS OLD NOW,SO I WAS SO BAD AN JUST BECAUSE OF THIS ILLNESS I HAVE KNOW JOB KNOW ONE TO HELP ME AT I WAS ALLY,SO ONE DAY GOD SEND A HERBAL DOCTOR TO HELP AT ME AT WITH MY(HPV+2). SO THIS MAN NAME DR,OGUDO TOLD ME THAT HE WILL DO A HERBAL MEDICINE FORM ME THAT I WILL TAKE FOR SOME DAYS AND I ASK HIM TO DO IT FOR ME,BUST NOW I AN NOT(HPV+2)AGING,SO I WANT YOU TO HELP ME THANK DR,OGUDO FOR WHAT HE DID FOR ME I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TELL DIS STORY ALL I ON NOW IS THAT I HAVE BEEN CURE FOR(HPV)MY NAME IS
    SLITTER NATALIA FORM UK,DO YOU HAVE (HPV+2)EMAIL HIM;
    dr.ogudoherbalspelltemple@hotmail.com
    dr.ogudoherbalspelltemple@yahoo.com
    dr.ogudoherbalspelltemple@gmail.com
    I AN SO HAPPY NOW AND I HAVE A GOOD JOB NOW AND A MAN A THAT I LOVE ME,HE CAN HELP YOU IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO HELP YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all patient of [HPV] in the world. i never believed that their could be any complete cure for HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS or any cure for HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS, Mrs JANE introduce me to DR.AKHIGBE a herbal doctor who lives in Africa who brought him back to life again. so i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using the herbal medicine he sent to me i was perfectly ok and . Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any symptoms of HPV and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any HPV in my body system. Glory be to God for leading me to this genuine DR.AKHIGBE I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no cure for HPV that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure from DR.AKHIGBE via his Email DRAKHIGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM and you will be free and free forever, Try it and you will not regret it because it truly works. One thing i have come to realize is that you never know how true it is until you try...or you can whatsapp him +2348106618681, OR Email him DRAKHIGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM OR if you need my assistant via mail:jamesava001@gmail.com...
    THIS IS THE TYPE OF HERBAL MEDICATION HE HAVE
    1 Cancer
    2 Hiv
    3 Low sperm count
    4 Barrenness
    5 Hvp
    6 Herpes
    7 Genital Wart
    8 Rare disease
    9 Hepatitis
    10 Syphilis
    11 Diabetes
    God bless you sir for your good work that you done.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. The freedom to start dating. Stop worrying about outbreaks. Employ natural treatments that address the Herpes Simplex Virus at the cause of the condition. Secure, organic and powerful. Decades of understanding and convention have helped us develop the perfect fix for Herpes.
    Hsv Singles Meet a Romantic Herpes Partner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr abu for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address;
    drabumerecurecentre@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Name is Dr sebi you can Contact Me via Email drsebicurecenter@gmail.com For Penis Enlargement Product to help you get as long as 8inches Long with good Erection. Contact Me Via Email : drsebicurecenter@gmail.com   Via WhatsApp +2347010538590

    ReplyDelete
  14. I contracted hpv' i was told there is no hpv cure except treatment to control it, i totally lost of hope all i could think loosing my life because it was so embarrass for been hpv patient. some weeks ago i read possible natural cure which was guarantee And I ordered the treatment after one week i got 100% cure. I'm so excited to shear this testimony to every article for others living with hpv there is possible natural treatment to eliminate the virus email Dr Onokun, his herbal clinic address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. If getting herpes cure was that easy then why do people still suffer from herpes? I was diagnosed of herpes back in 2014 and i was also told it has no cure,I have been leaving with it since then, but i kept praying and doing everything possible to get cured, so i never stop doing research about finding a cure,I came across testimonies about people getting cured through herbal medication and i have always believe in herbs and its medical properties, after doing so many research about it i found DRASHAOSEMUDIAMEN and I discovered he was a professional in herbal medication and he has also helped many people,I contacted him through his mail: DRASHAOSEMUDIAMEN@GMAIL. COM, and +2347052021645 we talked on phone and i confirmed he was genuine,I did all what he told me to do, i received the medicine,use it as he prescribed,and glory be to God almighty i am completely cured, i went back to my doctor to confirm it.do not be deceived THERE IS A CURE FOR HERPES. He is also good at saving you from any kind of diseases like Herpes. HIV/aids. Gonorrhea. Cardiac problem. cold sore. Hpv cure. Cancer. Watering sperm. Womb fertilization. Penis erection. Witch craft attack. S T D diseases. Internal heat Rashes. Fibroid. Low sperm count. Dairy. long sickness. I promise I will always testify for your good work. drashaosemudiamen@gmail. com or whatsapp +2347052021645 GOOD LUCK.  

    ReplyDelete