Sunday, January 15, 2012

How Regulations Penalize Cancer Survivors

Recent research which took place over a period of 14 years and utilized two irrefutable government sources for its statistical information was presented at the 2011 annual meeting of The American Society of Clinical Oncology.

This research used both the cancer registry statistics as well as the U.S. bankruptcy court records and involved nearly a quarter of a million cancer survivors. The results, that bankruptcy rates among cancer survivors at one year after diagnosis was nearly twice as high as that of the general population. On average, bankruptcy rates increased four-fold within the five year period after diagnosis

The U.S. bankruptcy laws changed dramatically in 2005 making it more difficult for an individual to file bankruptcy. The filing of a bankruptcy was an action which was intended to give an individual a “clean slate” however when it comes to cancer survivors it is anything but.

Based upon this research, cancer patients who have struggled through horrific treatments in order to survive now face yet more stress and hardship from a financial standpoint. Is it reasonable to penalize cancer survivors simply for having survived? Yet this is exactly what happens when a cancer survivor must file bankruptcy.

Federal and State programs (First Time Homebuyer Assistance) which exist to assist lower income families in obtaining a home by providing funds for down payments as well as closing costs stipulates that a bankruptcy must have been discharged (finalized by the bankruptcy court and all debts absolved) a full two years before an individual can even submit an application for assistance.

There are many financial hardships which cancer patients/survivors endure one of which may be the loss of their jobs and their homes. The First Time Homebuyer Assistance Program mentioned above will provide assistance to first time home buyers which also includes those who have not owned a home in three years. A cancer survivor who has lost their home resulting from their medical expenses three or more years ago would also be eligible. However, it is more than likely that they also may have had to file bankruptcy and therefore simply cannot catch a break. The approval guidelines require that they cannot file an application until two years after their bankruptcy discharge date. Since every application is taken in order of submission, people are placed on a waiting list until their application is approved. Based on these requirements, they would not even be allowed to submit their applications and allow their time on the waiting list to be applied to the necessary two year period. They must wait two years to submit their applications and then wait yet again on a waiting list. Funds are limited and depending upon how many applications are received their application may extend into the following fiscal year.

Being a two-time survivor of cancer I can say that while it isn’t something which occupies my thoughts on any regular basis, there always exists in the back of my mind the possibility of a recurrence. I think it is safe to say that this is true for most cancer survivors on some level.

The longer a cancer patient survives after treatment the greater the likelihood that they will end up having to file bankruptcy. Out-of-pocket expenses associated with follow-up testing, follow-up doctor visits and prescriptions amongst other things continue to place a financial burden on survivors.

If there was ever a need for a true “clean slate” it is for the cancer survivor, and given this recent research bankruptcy laws should be amended for those having to file as a result of cancer. Bankruptcy filings resulting from cancer should not be allowed to be included on the individual’s credit report and all associated discharged accounts should be removed as well. This would truly provide the cancer survivor with a “clean slate” from which to live out their remaining lives. Congress needs to amend the bankruptcy laws to provide such protection for cancer survivors.

As for the First Time Homebuyer Assistance Program referred to earlier, these survivors would no longer be penalized when it comes to receiving funds for a home. Losing one’s home is a devastating event for anyone but even more so for a cancer survivor who has often lost their job as well and in some cases are unable to return to work as a result of complications of their treatment. This often leaves them having to rely on Social Security Disability. They may still be able to afford a small mortgage payment but the existence of a bankruptcy will prevent them from qualifying for one, especially in the current banking climate when even those with good credit have difficulty.

Even the thought of a cancer diagnosis is something which strikes fear in the hearts of most people. For those who have lived it, the diagnosis is nothing compared to what they must endure in their struggle to survive. This research makes clear for the first time the severity of the financial fall-out for cancer survivors compared to the general population as it relates to bankruptcy. It also speaks to the need for change in our bankruptcy laws which respect what these individuals have had to endure to survive and compassion to allow them to continue the lives they struggled to keep without further discrimination and hardship.

"Bankruptcy Rates Higher Among Cancer Survivors." ConsumerAffairs.com: Knowledge is Power! Consumer news, reviews, complaints, resources, safety recalls. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Jan. 2012. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/06/bankruptcy-rates-higher-among-cancer-survivors.html

12 comments:

  1. Very true indeed. In an ideal world, no one should have to deal with the emotional stress of cancer and the crippling financial stress as well. It is overwhelming and dare I say "not fair". I have two children with cancer and have done the whole bankruptcy thing only to find that there never was a clean slate as you say. Having to accept that I will never be able to get my children into their own home is a very hard thing. There's always someone out there that will then say that we should just be thankful for our children which is obvious and angering--I am certainly thankful every day for my children, yet the reality is you are penalized for the illness. In my mind, these kids have gone through enough. Most folks just don't get that. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello viewers all over the globe I am caroline from USA, I have been suffering from HPV virus for the past 2 years now, I have went to several hospitals taking different treatment from doctors but still yet no improvement, I have done research on internet seen different testimony how some people get cured but I don’t believe does testimony again because of what happened to me I have contacted so many doctors online, they all ask for is money I was scammed by 3 different doctors over $2000 still yet I was not cured so I tell a friend of mine about my problem she tells me to contact dr oso that his very good in healing people with his medicine that she was cured from herpes by this some Dr oso I don’t believe her on thing she showed me her results on how was cured she gives me his Email few weeks later I contacted him and tell him about my problem he tell me not to be worried that his going to prepare the medicine and send to me through EMS delivery so after some days I received the medicine and I was take it as he Instructed me few weeks later I go for check up to no if I’m finally cured, could you believe me when the results come out I was negative I jump up I was very happy. Please my dear friends if you have any kind of diseases or virus please contact Drosohaberhome@gmail.com/ dr.osoherberhome1@outlook.com or WhatsApp +2348162084839. you can email me to for more info about dr oso . toddcaroline79@gmail.com. Thank you so much Dr oso I’m forever great full please my dear friends don’t believe on does comment online they all fake doctors. only Dr oso I see real. Please beware of scammers..

      Delete
  2. Cancer has become a large business. It is very profitable to the Pharmaceuticals, at the point that they do not longer care for human health but just getting more money to investors. It is time to prevent when possible and avoid at all costs cancer. That is eating healthy, do exercise, in short: have a healthy lifestyle as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to introduce Divine 9 Personal Lubricant with Carragel. Divine 9 is a personal lubricant defining a new category with in-depth studies by the National Cancer Institute, McGill University and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine on the prevention of the spread of the HPV viruses.
    Please visit our site at www.hpv-prevention.com for information on the studies and their results....Safe Sex & Peace of Mind all in one bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to introduce Divine 9 Personal Lubricant with Carragel. Divine 9 is a personal lubricant defining a new category with in-depth studies by the National Cancer Institute, McGill University and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine on the prevention of the spread of the HPV viruses.
    Please visit our site at www.hpv-prevention.com for information on the studies and their results....Safe Sex & Peace of Mind all in one bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to ascertain how to seek out a desirable partner when you are prepared to date. There are Online HPV Dating Sites devoted totally to fitting individuals with HPV to optimistic mates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mụn cóc sinh dục không được điều trị có thể lây qua người bạn tình. Siêu vi trùng lây truyền qua tiếp xúc trực tiếp da với da ... Điều trị bệnh mụn cóc sinh dục chữa mụn cóc sinh dục
    Những biểu hiện đó nếu không kịp thời khám xét và điều trị kịp thời thì có những biến chứng như ung thư dương vật (ở nam giới) hay ung thư cổ tử cung (ở nữ giới) mụn cóc sinh dục nam giới
    Khi có nghi ngờ về dấu hiệu của bệnh mụn cóc sinh dục cần có những điều trị kịp thời. Vậy những hình ảnh bệnh mụn cóc sinh dục như thế nào để bạn dễ nhận biết biểu hiện mụn cóc sinh dục
    Bệnh mụn cóc sinh dục hay còn được gọi là sùi mào gà đến nay vẫn chưa có thuốc điều trị đặc hiệu, người bệnh sẽ phải mang mầm bệnh trong suốt quãng đời còn lại. hình ảnh mụn cóc sinh dục nữ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was once a victim of Human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV infection is deadly, and should be get rid as soon as possible, it usually begins as a small area of tenderness, swelling and redness. Herbal Medicine is the best for this infection, I have finally been cure of HPV. If you have HPV, don't be discourage, stop using Western medicine and embrace herbal product by contact directly Nelson for help. drnelson581@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thoughtful post on the meditation mind .It should be very much helpful.Best Symptom Tracker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello viewers all over the globe I am caroline from USA, I have been suffering from HPV virus for the past 2 years now, I have went to several hospitals taking different treatment from doctors but still yet no improvement, I have done research on internet seen different testimony how some people get cured but I don’t believe does testimony again because of what happened to me I have contacted so many doctors online, they all ask for is money I was scammed by 3 different doctors over $2000 still yet I was not cured so I tell a friend of mine about my problem she tells me to contact dr oso that his very good in healing people with his medicine that she was cured from herpes by this some Dr oso I don’t believe her on thing she showed me her results on how was cured she gives me his Email few weeks later I contacted him and tell him about my problem he tell me not to be worried that his going to prepare the medicine and send to me through EMS delivery so after some days I received the medicine and I was take it as he Instructed me few weeks later I go for check up to no if I’m finally cured, could you believe me when the results come out I was negative I jump up I was very happy. Please my dear friends if you have any kind of diseases or virus please contact Drosohaberhome@gmail.com/ dr.osoherberhome1@outlook.com or WhatsApp +2348162084839. you can email me to for more info about dr oso . toddcaroline79@gmail.com. Thank you so much Dr oso I’m forever great full please my dear friends don’t believe on does comment online they all fake doctors. only Dr oso I see real. Please beware of scammers..

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gm‎ail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found Dr Olori is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed Dr Olori, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr Olori with the email attach to my post. droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com
    WhtasApp him via +2349053311935..

    ReplyDelete